I want to thank my brother in law for the inspiration to make my own chicken in white wine sauce. I’ve never been a fan of ‘white sauce’ on meat apart from dishes made with coconut milk, such as Thai green curry, ginataang alimango, ginataang Tilapia, beef rendang etc…. But after having one of his home made recipe I wanted to re-create what he did in my own way. So here goes my version of my brother in laws signature dish
Chicken in white wine and mushroom sauce
4 tbsp olive oil
1 medium chicken
1 1/4 pints chicken stock (made from the chicken carcass)
2 onions (one for the stock)
handful of lemon thyme
600g chesnut mushrooms
1/2 pint dry white wine (I used Ogio Pinot Grigio it has a lovely lemony taste which goes well with this dish)
300ml double cream
salt & pepper
- Cut the chicken so you have (2 wings, 2 breasts, 2 thighs and 2 drumsticks)
- Place the chicken carcass in a large pot and enough water just to cover it, add one onion cut in half and boil for about 30 minutes.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add 4 tbsps of olive oil in a stock pot and fry the chicken until the skin is crispy and brown. Remove the chicken and set aside. Drain the excess oil and bring the pot back to the hob then add the chicken, stock and a handful of lemon thyme then simmer for about 30 minutes until the chicken is done.
- Meanwhile, in a deep frying pan heat the butter and sauté the onions, cook until the onions are soft and transparent. Add the mushrooms until it’s soft and simmering in its’ own juice.
- Turn the heat up, add the wine. Reduce until the wine is thick and syrupy then add the double cream. Leave to simmer for about 5 minutes, then pour it over the chicken.
- Turn the heat up on the chicken and let it boil and simmer until the sauce has been reduced to your taste. (I like the sauce to be just a little thick)
Sautéd paprika potatoes
500g of new potatoes sliced in half
1 tsp smoked paprika
Pepper to season
- Par boil the potatoes in salted water
- Melt the butter in a deep pan and add the potatoes
- When the potatoes are starting to go brown, sprinkle some paprika over them, making sure the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Cook in a very low heat until they are golden brown and then season them with some pepper and serve with the chicken, steamed broccoli and asparagus.
Did you enjoy this post? Share now!
Sign up here to get the latest posts, recipes, DIY and other cool things!
Hey very nice blog!!
Whats happening, I found this site by mistake when I had been going through Bing after that I arrived to your website. I require to say your site is interesting I really like your theme! Today I don’t have the free time at the current moment to fully look through your sitebut I’ve bookmarked it. I is going to be back again in a day or 2 . Many thanks for a great site.
[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by riabrown. riabrown said: another #recipe blog post http://bit.ly/cbNyS5 Chicken in white wine and mushroom sauce #food #cooking […]